Introduction to Research
This LibGuide was designed help you find resources and introduce you to the research process. It will take you through the research process as it acquaints you with the various types of library materials. Use this guide as a tool for selecting a topic for an actual assignment, or just follow along as it pursues a sample research project using the following strategy.
After viewing this guide, you will be able to:
- Choose a subject area and a topic,
- Locate a book or e-book that provides much more information on that topic
- Use and locate scholarly journals available in the UNH collection;
- Search a database for additional information on your topic, and to understand what the scholars have written on that subject;
- Follow the research trail and locate articles and books found in the citations of the articles and books that you have already found;
- Use Interlibrary loan to get articles and books not available through the UNH Library;
- Search for government publications and websites through the UNH Library and Google;
- Locate statistics and/or specialized sources to help back up your research;
- Cite your work using style citation manuals available online and in print.
If you are not familiar with the library's resources, visit our LibGuide titled Tools & Tips. Inside, there is more detailed information on how to use advanced searching features for library databases, search for books, locate government publications, and how and when to cite.
Librarians are available to help you find the information that you need.
- Visit us at the Information Desk any time that we're open, or
- Call 203-932-7189 for help or to set up an appointment with a librarian for one-on-one research assistance.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
We'll help you learn how to use the catalog to find books and use our databases to find articles, e-books and more.