This is the "Microforms in the UNH Library" page of the "Microforms in the UNH Library" guide.
Alternate Page for Screenreader Users
Skip to Page Navigation
Skip to Page Content

Microforms in the UNH Library   Tags: how do i find, how do i use, research assistance  

Last Updated: Aug 14, 2013 URL: Print Guide RSS Updates
Microforms in the UNH Library Print Page

Microforms in the UNH Library

What are microforms?  Microforms are photographic reductions of reading materials.  The two formats in this library are:

  • microfiche (4" sheets)
  • microfilm (1" wide on spools). 

Their compact size saves storage space and allows the library to maintain complete sets of periodicals and other materials at a lower cost.  Both formats require machines known as "readers" to be used.  While a librarian may help you to identify such items, a staff member from the circulation desk will help you to use them in the microform area.

Materials on microforms include newspapers, periodicals, government documents, and other books.

Newspapers, Periodicals.  Many periodicals and newspapers are available on microfilm, including The New York Times. The Journals at the MKP Library link on our home page lists the journals that UNH owns and their format: hardcopy (print/paper), microfiche, microfilm or online. Various paper and electronic indexes can help you find articles in these publications.  See our guide on Finding Articles.

Government Documents.  Many government documents are available on microfiche. To request a government document, fill in a request slip at the Information Desk so that a staff member can bring it to you. Some fiche documents are also available online from the library catalog or from GPO Access' monthly catalog online.  For more on our Documents collection, see our guide on Finding Government Documents.

Using Microforms:  The microform area is on the lower level. Circulation Desk staff members can help you access the microforms you need.  Please do not retrieve or re-file microfiche or microfilm; staff will do this for you and teach you how to use the microform equipment.


Research Help

Librarians are available to help you find the information that you need. 

  • Visit us at the Information Desk any time that we're open, or
  • Call 203-932-7189 for help or to set up an appointment with a librarian for one-on-one research assistance.
  • Email

We'll help you learn how to use the catalog to find books and use our databases to find articles, e-books and more.

Diane Spinato

Profile Image
Diane Spinato-Sr. Info. Literacy Librarian
Contact Info
Send Email

What do you think of this guide?

Was this information helpful?

How useful is this page?
(1 = Not Useful, 5 = Very Useful!)

Additional comments:

Your Email:


Loading  Loading...